Light Fixture Styling for Home and Office
Lighting Design for home and office plays an integral role in every household and work space. Not only does it set the tone and ambience for your home or workplace, but lighting can also greatly impact the mood of the occupants. Kitchen, Bathroom, Living Room, Meeting Rooms, Working Desk Area, Study Rooms, Bedroom - every room has a different function that demands a different kind of Lighting to achieve the perfect ambience.
In this article, we provide a sense of guidance on choosing lights that are both functional and pleasing to the eyes.
One thing to consider when picking the right lights for your home is to consider your budget and the style of lighting - from traditional to contemporary styles. There are many types of lights that can be used in your home including floor lamps, ceiling lamps, pendant lights, chandeliers, etc. We hope this article can provide you with a clearer idea of picking suitable lighting for your home.
Different lights for different rooms
Every room should consider what type of environment it aims to bring out. There are many artificial lighting methods that can greatly impact each nook and cranny of your home. It is recommended that you try to strike a balance between the functional and aesthetic aspects of lights.
Some of the popular lighting setups are adequate illumination in the living room and study room to avoid eye strain, while bathrooms and dressing tables need task lighting. In the bedroom, however, you should consider fitting a light switch to control the brightness levels, to create a soothing atmosphere.
It is important to consider different lighting options to enhance your space in terms of aesthetics and functionality.
- The few main lighting sources should indeed be bright of relevant wattage and bring out the tone and atmosphere of the house. This is to ensure comfort.
- Consider your ceiling height before hanging a chandelier light. It should be at least seven to eight ft above the floor.
- On a workstation, place the lamp at a correct angle, to ensure that no shadow falls on the working area.
- A side table with a lamp, not only has its own charm but is also useful as a reading light.
- Lamps in the bedroom need to be at a convenient distance from the bed, making it easy to operate.
- While selecting light fixtures, ensure that it complements the overall theme of the house and furniture design.
- Choose fixtures that are easy to maintain – spares and accessories should be easily available in the future, for replacement.
Reviews of our 2020 Favourite Picks
1. Pendant Lights
A pendant light can also be used as a porch light to provide the general lighting for that porch. One appealing quality of a pendant lights, when they're used for general lighting, is that many of these fixtures are designed to throw at least some of the light up, onto the ceiling.
Product Image: Mort 1 Light Contemporary Modern Pendant Light
The spare design of MORT Pendant Light, with its 1-Light and black finish, is a welcome addition to any home. Made of steel and timber, the cord is covered in transparent fabric.
Choose from our wide range of Pendant Lights from our shop's Collection.
2. Table Lamps
Table lamps are integral to set a tone for each room. While it may not be the main source of light for the room, it can greatly impact different sections of the room.
For many more different styles of Table Lights, please go to our Table Lights collection page.
Chandelier lighting can sometimes be the main source of lighting in the space occupied if you decide to fix a large chandelier in a large room. Other times, a small chandelier can suffice to complement the other light fixtures in your room. Nowadays, chandeliers are made out of glass, wood, metal, or crystal. There are many types of chandeliers you can consider to enhance the ambience of your space.
Product Image: ALVA 12-Light Antique Chandelier Round Farmhouse Chrome E14
The exquisite design of the ALVA Chandelier, with its twelve candelabra lights and distinctive chrome wagon wheel silhouette, is a welcome addition to any home.
Constructed of solid metal, the Chandelier is rated for 12 bulbs of 20W max. Bulb type: E14 base bulbs (not included). An adjustable rod comes in connectable segments to allow for an easy customisable length upon set up. The Chandelier light can be mounted on a vaulted ceiling.
For more information such as construction, weight and other information please go to the chandelier's product page here: ALVA 12-Light Antique Chandelier Round Farmhouse Chrome E14
There is another similar Option (more traditional rounded design): ALVA 12-Light Antique Chandelier Round Farmhouse Rustic Grey E14
For other types of Chandelier Light designs, check out our Chandeliers collection page.
Lighting does in fact play a large role in providing the right ambience to a home or workplace. Not only does it set the tone and ambience for your home or office, but lighting can also greatly impact the mood of the home or office's occupants.
It is important to incorporate the best lighting design to enhance the mood and atmosphere of your home and place occupied. Dimmer switches play a big part of allowing adjustment of lighting to suit the ambience and activity at home.
1. What is the general process for hanging Pendant Lights?
First, make sure you call a professional electrician! If you want to know more, this is general process:
- Select the fixtures: A pendant light often hangs by its own electrical cord, making the fixture itself fairly basic, distinguished mostly by color and size. The style of simple light lies in the shade, which can be chosen to match any decor, space or use. A flared shape or transparent shade will throw more light into a room, whereas an opaque or solid shade may focus light on a task surface.
- Prepare the junction box: Locate your electrical panel and turn off power to the junction box and confirm no power is flowing. A previously mounted light should be removed with care to avoid damage to wiring. Three wires should be visible; two for power and a third wire is used as an electrical ground. Remove any previously used mounting bracket.
- Select a bulb: Consult the manufacturer’s instructions when selecting a bulb for your fixture. Wattage, shape and “light appearance” can all have a significant impact on the look and functionality of your ceiling fixture. If using a dimmer switch, make sure the bulb is dimmable and look for warmer colors for living spaces. Although a single pendant light isn’t usually the best choice for large spaces.
2. How can I use Pendant lights to make my house look elegant?
Pendant lighting is a good choice for magnifying the unique beauty of your home.
One of the best features of crystal pendant lighting is its ability to add a subtle style to space. At the same time, it provides a focal point especially if there is a notable piece of furniture or décor in the vicinity. You can choose between traditional crystal chandeliers to modern in-built crystal pendants or anywhere in between depending on the theme you select for your room.